Friday, August 29, 2008

Understanding theme for ISAFF 2008

Core ISAFF volunteers and organizers were asked a few questions by ISAFF blog writer Shahana Dattagupta to better understand the theme of the film festival. Anil Vora, a dedicated ISAFF volunteer since 2004, provided the following answers. We are posting them directly to the blog.

WHY IS ISAFF FOCUSSING ON LGBT FILMS THIS YEAR?


In the United States, there are over 25 film festivals dedicated exclusively to showcasing films made by and about lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) persons. Every major city in Europe has an annual LGBT film festival. Even a country like Romania proudly participates in its annual LGBT film festival. Additionally, international film festivals around the world make it a point to include one or several films made by and about LGBT persons. Tasveer's Independent South Asian Film Festival (ISAFF) has screened at least one LGBT-themed film every year since the festival's inception.

To question the relevance of a LGBT-themed film festival is as absurd as asking why does the sun rise everyday. In the western world, since the Stonewall riots marked the official beginning of the equal rights movement (even though many LGBT persons had fought for equal rights since the 1920s), more and more LGBT persons are living openly and proudly as their authentic selves. Our numbers are not growing due to efforts made by LGBT persons to "recruit" so-called innocent non-LGBT persons. Our numbers have grown and more of us are out and open simply because we are BORN that way and we have recognized that to live a life hiding one's authentic self is a fate worse than death itself.

And as more of us live our lives openly as artists, construction workers, surgeons, teachers, and politicians, more of us are telling our stories through words, music, drama, and film. All over the world, there are feminist, youth, science fiction, rock-and-roll, and various other film festivals. Brave men and women in South Asian countries are beginning to organize LGBT-themed film festivals, in so doing literally risking their jobs and lives. Here in so-called liberal Seattle, ISAFF this year is LGBT focused. It is about time that we got over our petty little phobias and joined the world community in celebrating the cinematic achievements of a community that has a lot to offer and teach us.

HOW DOES THIS THEME RESONATE WITH YOU PERSONALLY?

I have lived as an out gay man for 25 years; more than half my life. I have worked as a health care professional side by side with renowned scientists, administrators, and policy makers. I have paid my taxes. I have not committed a single crime and not even received a parking ticket. I have seen both my parents die and helped my sister through cancer. I spent ten years of my life actively involved in the fight against HIV/AIDS, comforting men dying premature deaths. I have volunteered my time at countless non-profit organizations and given money to many others even when I had very little of my own. I have voted and participated in the political life of this country. In every possible way, I have tried to live my life as an upstanding citizen and tirelessly given back to society through charitable acts. And to this day, non-LGBT persons have the nerve to tell me that I'm a sinner because I love another man and that God said so.

I believe in God. I also believe that God sees every living creature as equal and loves them equally. And because God loves everyone equally, that means God loves even those who routinely misinterpret God's message. My prayer to God is always the same: give me patience to deal with those who say and do hateful things to me in Your name.

So, yes, the personal IS political because not only do I not have the same rights that non-LGBT persons enjoy and take for granted but I am often asked—just like right here, right now—to justify my very existence, asked to justify why anyone should even think about putting on a LGBT-themed film festival, and why on earth should anyone come to it. My own kind—South Asians—are often the biggest offenders. "What will the neighbors say?" "Your father will have a heart attack if he found out!" "You have brought disrepute and ruination on our entire khaandaan!" One can choose those cold, narrow-minded and hate filled options. Or one can choose to broaden their mind and come to this film festival and see what our vibrant love is all about, see how much we actually have in common with one another because LGBT persons all over South Asia and in the diaspora are growing in numbers and rising up to say Pyaar Kiya Toh Darna Kyah.

HOW DO YOU SEE THIS THEME TO BE AN EVOLUTION OF ISAFF's CHARTER FROM WHERE IT STARTED IN 2004?

ISAFF founders and organizers are incredibly evolved persons, intellectually, emotionally, and artistically. Before ISAFF, the Tasveer community was always supportive of the under-represented, including LGBT persons. ISAFF is not about playing it safe and showcasing popcorn films. Almost entirely organized by volunteer efforts, the festival is about breaking barriers and celebrating the richness, complexity, and divinity of all life—LGBT or otherwise. The more important questions are: Will there be an audience to support ISAFF's mission and vision? Or will we continue to choose the Godless quality of closed-minded hate?

No comments:

 
Free Hit Counter
Free Counter